Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Pumpkin Bars (To Die For)


Yummmm! This is my all~time favorite recipe for pumpkin bars. I first tasted these at a rehearsal dinner for a friends wedding and just had to have the recipe. I've never liked the amount of eggs required, though. I experimented last night using a bit of silken tofu as a substitute for eggs and voila! My family agrees that these are the best thing they have eaten all week! The tofu makes the bars more cake like: fluffy, moist, and without the eggy taste. This could easily be made into a pumpkin cake or even cupcakes!

Ingredients:
1 cup silken tofu, blended until smooth (I used Mori-Nu Tofu)
1 2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup oil
16 oz. pumpkin
2 cups white flour
2 tsp. baking pwdr.
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt

Instructions:
Combine wet ingredients in a medium bowl. Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl. Mix wet and dry together, making sure all the flour is incorporated. Pour onto a sprayed medium sized cookie sheet and smooth out. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. You can frost these with a mixture of powdered sugar, vanilla and water, and it yields a light "crunch" to the top of the bar.

Yield: Depends on how big you cut the bars! :) I cut 28 medium sized squares.

Enjoy these "melt-in-your-mouth" gems (as my husband calls them).



1 comment:

  1. I should definitely not be reading your blog while I'm cleansing! I want to try those so bad! :)

    ReplyDelete