Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Breakfast Today

So, last night I planned to make waffles for breakfast this morning. I usually use a modified recipe that my mom created with granola and other ingredients (super easy!), but I didn't have everything that I needed. My husband always talks about these incredible oat waffles that he used to eat, so I decided to try my hand at making oat based waffles.

I think I may have created a new favorite! It takes a little longer than your average white flour waffle, but it's definitely worth it. Not only for your heart and digestive system, but for your taste buds as well.




Ingredients:
1/2 cup raw cashews (you could experiment with other kinds of nuts if you wanted)
7 dates
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup corn meal
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups of water (plus a little more as needed)
handful of coconut (opt.)
1 T. flax seed (opt.)

Instructions:
Blend cashews and dates with 1 cup of water in blender until very smooth and creamy. Add rolled oats, corn meal, vanilla and salt ~ blending with the rest of the water. Turn off the blender and stir in the coconut, if using.

Spray your waffle iron with cooking spray and pour batter onto hot waffle iron. Bake for 11 minutes. Remove and enjoy with your favorite toppings! I made a mixed berry sauce for mine.

Yield: 3 large square waffles or 7 small round waffles (give or take depending on your waffle iron)

No comments:

Post a Comment