Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Cranberry Orange Bran Muffins


My husband visited some of our dear friends for the weekend recently and returned home raving about the delicious bran muffins they had for breakfast one morning. I asked my friend for the recipe because if something is THAT good, I have to try it! These are moist and not too sweet, and the addition of slightly tart dried cranberries and the brightness of orange zest make them irresistible!

Ingredients:
1 cup white flour
1/4 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tb. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups All Bran Original Cereal (the twigs!!)
1 1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup dried cranberries
a healthy pinch of fresh orange zest

Instructions:
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cranberries in a small bowl. Set aside. Mix All Bran, milk, and oil in another bowl and let stand for about 5 minutes, or until cereal has absorbed most of the liquid. Stir together the dry and wet ingredients until well incorporated and add the pinch of orange zest. Stir until combined. Spoon batter into sprayed muffin tins and bake for about 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees.

The original recipe called for baking for 20 minutes. My muffins weren't done until about 30 minutes, so you'll have to take into consideration that oven temperatures vary.

Thanks to Kellie May for sharing the basic recipe with me! I hope you'll enjoy the additions ~
Yield: 12 muffins

1 comment:

  1. That does sound good! I will have to try it sometime :) we like muffins here.

    ReplyDelete