Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Southwestern Potato Corn Chowder


So, my family are huge fans of southwestern style food. My husband and I spent some time in New Mexico and came to appreciate the versatility of chiles. We've always enjoyed corn chowder, but one day I thought to include some green chiles....WOW! That added a new dimension to an old favorite. Today I spent some time actually writing the recipe down as I made it. (Unfortunately, I rarely do that. Then when something actually turns out, I can't remember how to replicate it!)

Ingredients:
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3 medium-large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 can yellow sweet corn (I used the creamed variety, but regular will do just as well)
4 cups cauliflower
1 4-oz. can green chiles
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. cumin
2 1/2 scant tsp. salt
pepper to taste

Instructions:
In a medium stockpot, cook cauliflower. Peel potatoes and cube, then cook in a large soup pot with just enough water to cover (about 3 cups). Spray a small saute pan with cooking spray and saute onion. When cauliflower is tender, place in a blender with sauteed onions and about 1 1/2 cups of water. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add cauliflower mixture to potatoes in pot, then pour in drained corn and green chiles. Add seasonings and combine well. Simmer soup for about 20 minutes until it begins to thicken slightly. Serve hot!

You can adjust the seasonings to taste.
Enjoy! :0)



1 comment:

  1. Now that sounds very good! Tyler loves corn chowder, so I will have to try this recipe sometime ;)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete